Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant, Kotzebue, AK
Maniilaq Association is a P.L. 93-638 Native/Indian Preference/EEO Employer
Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant
Job Code: 2017:OTZ-039
Location: Kotzebue, Alaska
Program: Medical Staff
FT/PT Status: Full Time
Title: Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
Program: Medical Staff
Housing Priority: 1
In this setting, the incumbent is expected to resolve the immediate health problem or to refer the patient to a physician where appropriate, after initiation of needed therapeutic modalities and diagnosis tests and eliciting pertinent physical findings. Provides routine and emergency ambulatory and preventive care services during regularly scheduled hours in cooperation with other medical practitioners.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides routine and emergency ambulatory and preventive care services during regularly scheduled hours in cooperation with other medical practitioners. These include: Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of routine illnesses (in adults and pediatric patients); management of chronic health problems; primary care for trauma cases, including suturing and casting; emergency care, including starting IV's, establishing adequate airways, and managing CPR and shock; screening of patients; provides family planning and counseling services; provides routine physical examinations for work and school.
- Maintains accurate, current medical records using the Patient Care Information System or RPMS for all patients seen.
- Participates in Health Center quality assurance activities.
- Dispenses pharmaceuticals in accordance with standing orders or by order of precepting physician.
- Performs and interprets routine laboratory tests.
- Orders and makes initial interpretations of extremity and chest X-ray.
- Uses diagnostic instruments (e.g. ophthalmoscope, otoscope, stethoscope, EKG, etc.) as necessary to perform examinations.
Holds a current Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner licensure in the U.S. Knowledge and ability to perform effectively the above duties. Knowledge of child and adolescent growth and development plus psychologic and emotional needs of adults. Able to work within the framework of established guidelines, which include standing orders. However, guidelines are not completely applicable to every situation likely to be encountered. Must be able to use judgement in interpreting and, with some patient conditions, adapting guidelines; to determine which patient conditions can be treated independently and which must be referred; and in assessment of patients, initiating treatment programs, evaluating the effectiveness of care, and modifying treatment with appropriate intervention.
Other Job Information (if applicable):
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people in this job.