Systems Administrator (Information Technology), South San Francisco, CA
The Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM), a managed care health plan, seeks a Systems Administrator who will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. The essential duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and checklists.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs and verifying the completion of scheduled jobs such as backups and automation schedules.
- Manage the HPSM computerized telephone communications system; program the telephone, voicemail, ACD reporting, call accounting, call recording and workforce management servers, oversee the operation and maintenance of assigned systems. Evaluate end-user business requirements for enhancements and implementation of new phone-related services and provide user training when appropriate.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources.
- Perform regular security monitoring, network scanning and vulnerability assessments.
- Plan, implement, monitor and troubleshoot internal information technology security policies, application security, access control, and corporate data safeguards.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted departments/staff.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, disk (both physical and virtual) and network resources as required.
- Provide Tier III/other support as needed from various departments/staff. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Ensures that department Service Level Agreements are met when working with Service Requests or Incidents.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies and applies them on the job.
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Education and Experience: A college degree in the field of computer science or information systems preferred. Five (5) years equivalent work experience required. (a college degree may be substituted for two years work experience). At least three (3) years’ experience working in a mixed Operating System environment including at least one UNIX variant (AIX, Linux) and one Windows variant (2008-2012 Server Platform). At least three (3) years’ experience with server hardware installation and maintenance (Cisco UCS experience is a plus). Two (2) years’ experience with server infrastructure (routers, switches, load balancers, DNS, NAS/SAN) design and maintenance (Cisco and EMC is a plus). Experience with database application (SQL Server, DB2) installation and basic maintenance. Experience troubleshooting of Microsoft Exchange 2010 and 2013 Servers. Experience with MDM (Mobile Device Management) systems (Mobile Iron is a plus) preferred. Experience with automation and scheduling software (ROC Maestro and Automate! a plus) preferred. Experience with Avaya Communication Manager (VOIP) platforms.
Knowledge of: Software, hardware, protocols, and standards, including Cisco, EMC VNX, VMware and IBM (AIX). UNIX (Bash/Perl/Ant) and Windows (Batch; VBScript; Perl/WMI) scripting. Script development and best practices. Backup software, including Backup Exec, Acronis, Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM). Network administration/protocols, including Cisco, Brocade and Fabric OS. Principles of computerized electronic telephone, voice over IP (VOIP) and voicemail systems.
Ability to: Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with vendor’s software support staff, HPSM staff and HPSM Management team. Provide technical guidance to other IT staff. Assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope and authority of the position. Organize and prioritize workload, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines. The ability to take manual tasks and/or processes and automate them to maximize efficiency. Perform repairs, installations, additions and changes to telecommunications equipment.
Starting Compensation Range: Between $67,673-$97,995 – depending on experience.
Benefits Information: Excellent benefits package offered, including HPSM paid premiums for employee’s coverage in the medical HMO plan and majority of PPO medical cost. Employee pays a small portion of the dependent premiums for medical and dental benefits. Additional HPSM benefits include fully paid vision, life, AD&D, STD, and LTD insurance; retirement plan (10% of salary for compensation/HPSM paid); holiday and vacation pay; tuition reimbursement plan; and more.
Application Process: To apply, submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to: Health Plan of San Mateo, Human Resources Department, 801 Gateway Blvd., Suite 100, South San Francisco, CA 94080 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax: (650) 616-8039. File by: Continuous until filled. EOE