Benefits Administrator, Santa Barbara, CA
Job Title: Benefits Administrator
Department: Human Resources Date Prepared: 03/2017
FLSA Status: Nonexempt Date Revised:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position is responsible for coordinating and administering all employee benefits and leave of absence programs in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director, Human Resources
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, lifting, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eye sight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: This job operates in a professional office environment. Some patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, communicable diseases, electrical hazards and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Climate controlled, indoor environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate. Work may be stressful at times.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: office equipment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Coordinates and administers health, dental, and life insurance plans; disability; flexible spending accounts; retirement savings plan; and COBRA.
- Coordinates and administers leave of absence programs for both Sansum Clinic Employees and Sansum Medical Clinic, Inc providers.
- Review for accuracy and maintains the human resources database.
- Creates reports regarding benefits.
- Develops and conducts new employee orientation sessions for new hires to explain benefit packages available.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits changes are entered appropriately in payroll system for payroll deduction.
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators. Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums and plan administration. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes.
- Ensures compliance with medical practice policies and procedures and federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Coordinates with the Payroll Administrator in the preparation of payroll, entering hours, deductions, rate changes, transfers etc.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Installs approved new plans and changes by preparing announcement material, booklets, and other media for communicating new plans to employees. Conducts employee meetings and arranges for enrollment of employees in optional plans.
- Perform plan audits. Prepare, collect and organize data for actuarial assessments. Review data in conjunction with actuarial evaluation task forces.
- Acts as point person in HR Department for all benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
- Provides benefits related material and/or information to the monthly newsletter and/or the Clinic’s intranet.
- Works as a team player supporting a variety of staff.
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Regular attendance is an essential job function.
- Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Adheres to HIPAA regulations.
- Exercises discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of current benefits and administration requirements. Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations related to benefits. Knowledge of human resources policies and procedures. Skill in problem solving and critical thinking. Excellent organizational skills. Skill in using database software for benefits. Skill in understanding employment law by accurate recording and reporting in compliance with regulations. Ability to project a positive and professional image to employees. Ability to manage multiple tasks and establish effective working relationships. High degree of tact and diplomacy, clear and concise communications skills, proficiency in mathematics, ability to follow established protocols and procedures, and good decision making within established guidelines. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Five years experience in Human Resources with experience in benefits and leave of absences, preferably in a health care environment
- PHR/SHRM-CP certification a plus.
To learn more and apply visit www.sansumclinic.org/employment