Associate Medical/Clinical Director - Behavioral Health, Petaluma, CA
Associate Medical/Clinical Director - Behavioral Health
The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Associate Medical/Clinical Director - Behavioral Health
Summary: The goal of the Associate Medical/Clinical Director, Behavioral Health is to lead a team of providers in offering high quality mental and behavioral health care within a primary care setting. The Director assists the Senior Management Team in strategic planning for the department; upholds quality and Joint Commission standards; holds accountability for budget planning and attainment of budget goals; oversees recruitment and retention of providers; ensures clinical competency of behavioral health providers; and implements improvement initiatives and innovations including integration with primary care.
Areas of Responsibility:
Clinical Duties: (28-32 hours per week)
- Provides for the diagnosis and treatment of health center patients within the scope of his/her license and per PHC clinical job description.
Management Responsibilities (8-12 hours per week)
- Strategic Planning: Assists the Chief Medical Officer and Senior Management Team in strategic planning of Mental and Behavioral Health services for both growth and sustainability. Provides yearly needs assessment for behavioral health services and provide feasibility of clinical treatment programs to meet those needs.
- Budget and Financial Health: Collaborates with CFO and Finance team to plan budgetary goals for department that includes staffing and productivity expectations. Monitors monthly productivity and financial reports; creates actions plans for necessary improvements, and reports progress to senior management team quarterly.
- Operations: Strategizes methods to offer patient centered access to health services. Works with Operational Directors and COO to set standards, define metrics, and ensure metrics are met. Operational metrics include mental health scheduling, flow of appointments, triage process, referral and consultation practice, and implementation of new services.
- Quality Improvement: Collaborates with Quality Improvement Director to obtain operational and clinical data and utilizes data to lead mental health team in initiatives of clinical systems improvements, health information technology innovations, and new methods of care delivery. Supervises the team leaders in standards of care and documentation with metrics. Reports results of improvement initiatives to the Internal Quality Improvement Committee.
- Recruitment and Retention: Work with CMO and Human Resources to create a yearly recruitment plan. With assistance of team leaders, interview applicants and work with HR on other aspects of recruitment process. Defines onboarding process for new providers. Collaborates with HR to analyze retention strategies for providers of department and implement processes for provider well being and career growth. Trains new Team Leaders in the organization’s delivery of patient care, leadership and supervision of providers.
- Provider Competency and Supervision: defines competency standards and evaluative techniques for behavioral health providers. Collaborates with HR to create and update behavioral health provider job descriptions. Conducts Team Leader performance and competency evaluations via chart audit, direct observation, and analysis of patient and staff satisfaction surveys for purpose of quarterly incentive bonus and yearly review. Supervises Team Leaders via goal setting, coaching, and mentoring to achieve organization goals. Conducts privileging and credentialing reviews for all new and existing behavioral health providers. Maintains departmental peer review process and reports results to Quality Improvement, Risk Management, and credentialing committees. Utilizes peer review and chart audit processes in the initial and re-appointment of providers.
- Meetings and Collaboration: Collaborates with clinical and operational staff to conduct regular mental health provider meetings for purposes of quality improvement in patient care, provider and staff education, and establishment of policies and procedures.Participates as requested other administrative and quality meetings as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer.
Petaluma Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly through our career page at www.phealthcenter.org.